Frequently asked questions

What is the Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register exists to protect you, your family, and your property from dangerous gas work. Incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained gas appliances are a major cause of lethal carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and can also lead to gas leaks and explosions. To carry out work on gas installations and appliances safely and legally, engineers in Great Britain and the Isle of Man must be on the Gas Safe Register.

Who is Gas Safe?

Gas Safe Register is run by Capita Gas Registration and Ancillary Services Limited, a division of Capita Group Plc. Gas Safe Register is the official gas registration body for Great Britain (GB) and Isle of Man, appointed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for Great Britain and HSWI for Isle of Man.. Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI as the gas registration body in GB on 1 April 2009

What about CORGI?

The CORGI gas registration scheme in Great Britain and the Isle of Man ended on 31 March 2009. It is no longer recognised by law as the gas safety register.

When replacing a old heating boiler with a modern condensing boiler, are there regulations?

If an older boiler is being replaced with a new condensing boiler then Building Regulations suggest that the rest of the system is upgraded to ensure that:
1. The storage cylinder complies with BS 1566:2002 (mainly the level of insulation – the existing cylinder may already comply)
2. The system controls are also upgraded to include time and temperature control (e.g. a programmable room thermostat if one is not already in place).
3. The system is cleaned and flushed prior to installation of the new boiler – in accordance with the manufacturers instructions

Given that the whole system will be shut down it would be worthwhile considering the installation of individual thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) in all areas except where the main thermostat is located. These need not be expensive and will give greater flexibility of room temperature control (bedrooms can be set to be cooler than main living areas) and will save energy – and money.

Can I utilise an existing conventional flue when fitting a replacement floor mounted condensing boiler?

Are there any grants available for an 80 yr pensioner who lives alone?

It is unlikely that the actual flue can be re-used, however it is possible that a new vertical flue can be installed in the same location as many boiler manufacturers now provide a number of flue options for their products. We cannot give definitive advice as this would require a site visit – and there may be other considerations which mean that re-use is not possible. Our Gas Safe-registered installer should be able to give more detailed advice based on inspection.

As regards availability of grants – We cannot advise but suggest that you contact Warm Heat to check on your eligibility. Their website is at www.warmheat.net.

Can you help me in telling me what size radiators are to be used in different sized rooms, or can you supply me details of someone who can help me?

Most radiator manufacturers will publish details of radiator outputs for each size/design in their product literature (available from builders merchants, heating supplies merchants etc) – or on their websites.

The output of the radiator required for each room is determined by a fairly complex calculation involving the heat losses from the room (using wall construction properties, window size and type etc) and is not simply determined by the room size. Our qualified heating installer will be able to do this calculation for you so you need not worry.

Is it a government requirement to fit radiator thermostats if changing the boiler?

As far as we are aware, if only the boiler is being changed on an existing pumped heating system then it is not a requirement under Building Regulations to fit thermostatic radiator valves, assuming that there is another form of heating control via a room thermostat or programmable thermostat.

Given that the system will be drained to fit the boiler it is nevertheless a good opportunity to fit TRV's on radiators (except in the room/area where the thermostat is located) as these need not be too expensive and can save energy and money by allowing greater control of temperature in different rooms (e.g. bedrooms can be set cooler that other rooms if required).

4 Easy Steps

  • 1
    Apply here

    to see if you may qualify for heating assistance or eligible for a grant.

  • 2

    Once confirmed by an approved assessor will visit you to generate a free report on your homes performance and potential improvements.

  • 3

    You will then have any approved heating upgrades installed by a certified installer

  • 4
    Save Money!

    Once the work is complete you should see the difference in your energy bills and have a warmer home!

Get In Touch